Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Thanks Mom and Dad

I wrote an article for Rehab Management’s March 2017 issue entitled “Are You Managing Your Relationship with Employers?” You can read it here.  The inspiration for this article springs in part from my experience helping patients who are employees, in part from helping employees avoid becoming patients and in part from my childhood.
I am the daughter of two working parents. During my formative years, both Mom and Dad worked in factories and they worked different shifts so that one was home for us kids most of the time.  I remember when my dad was working nights and my mom days. I thought it was great fun to stand on a chair and dry the dishes while my dad washed them… little did I know I was in serious training! I also remember when mom worked nights. I was in grade school all day, and I would try so hard to not fall asleep when I went to bed so I could see her when she got home from work. It usually didn’t work, but sometimes it did! I am so proud of my parents. Their hard work paved the way for our family.  Today every time I am working in a factory setting, I feel that sense of pride and also a sense of responsibility. It is so important to help workers, many of whom are parents of younger children themselves, maintain their ability to work safely and productively. The beauty of this work I do is that what helps the workers also helps their employers!

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for everything. I also thank every patient and worker who has contributed to my knowledge and understanding of the importance of supporting the working community. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a touching story, Ginnie, thank you for sharing.
    Deb Kearns, Stevens Point

    ReplyDelete